Monday July 9, 2012
- Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI)
Activities: Section 6102(c) of the Affordable Care
Act mandates the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
to establish standards and provide technical assistance to nursing
homes on the development of best practices relating to QAPI. The
CMS put forth several initiatives to implement these provisions
- Refinement of QAPI Tools and Resources:
Ongoing development of QAPI tools and resources that nursing homes
may use to design and implement an effective QAPI program.
- Launch of a QAPI Demonstration:
Demonstration project in 17 nursing homes in 4 States to test tools
and resources and provide technical assistance to nursing homes in
- Rollout of QAPI materials: CMS will
release materials later this calendar year that will support
nursing homes in QAPI implementation.
- Draft of the QAPI Regulation: CMS is in
the process of drafting a new QAPI regulation.
- Launch of the Nursing Home Quality Improvement
Questionnaire: The CMS has launched a nursing home
quality improvement questionnaire using an independent
contractor. The data collection period is from June 25
through September 28, 2012.